CQ LITERARY FESTIVAL WRITING COMPETITION
Eligibility: This competition is open only to attendees at the Writers’ Workshops .
Category 1. Adult writers & illustrators over 18 years.
Category 2. Student writers & illustrators 14 to 18 years.
The entry can be a completed novella (up to 30,000 words) a full novel, a children’s chapter book (up to 7,000 words) or a picture book (up to 500 words) in any genre and for any age group.
The competition will be judged by 3 judges. Five short listed entries in each category will be chosen to go to final judging. A full manuscript will be requested for final judging.
Part 1: The winning book in each category will be edited and published as an eBook by Morris Publishing Australia and considered for publication as a paper back.
Author/Illustrator retains copyright.
Part 2: Winners in each category will have a 30 minute face-to-face consultation at the Festival on June 21st 2014 with Elaine.
Part 3: All short listed entrants will have a 15 minute consultation with Elaine to help them improve their manuscripts.
Competition opens on 24th March 2014 – last electronic submission by midnight, 24th April 2014.
How to enter: After booking your place at the festival, follow the guidelines below, and send the first 20 pages of a completed manuscript to email@example.com or fill in the form below and upload your file.
Preparing your entry:
1. Your entry must be in Microsoft Word format, double spaced on A4 pages, 12 point Times Roman, left justification, with a first line indent to show new paragraphs. Margins: 3.0 cm on the left and 1.5cm on top, right, and bottom of the page.
2. Send the first 20 pages after double-spacing, and 1 page single-spaced synopsis.
3. Manuscript title, finished manuscript word total (not extract submitted) and consecutive page numbers to appear in the header of every page of your entry.
5. Do not identify yourself on the contest entry. Put your name only on the title page.
6. Picture Book Texts: Same set out rules apply to picture books. If they are self-illustrated, please submit 3 sample pictures as jpegs.
7. Entries not complying with formatting conditions could be eliminated, and lose marks in the judging process.
8. An electronic entry form can be found below. A PDF version is also there for download if required.
Conditions of entry:
1. The work submitted must be the work of the attendee and not previously published in any form.
2. All entries will be acknowledged by email on receipt. Please supply your email address on the entry form.
3. All writing entries will be destroyed after the competition, and the electronic files deleted.
4. Judges decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
3. Short listed awards will be notified by May 24th 2014 and a full manuscripts requested.
4. The winners will be announced at the CQ Literary Festival Writers’ Workshops June 21st 2014.
Go to the CQ Literary Festival page to book your place at the Writers' Workshop day.